Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Social Networking, AKA Legitimate Reasons To Play Online

Today I joined TeacherLibrarianNing, Twitter, and found my password for LibraryThing.

At TeacherLibrarian, I already joined a group, "YA Lit in School Libraries"! I can see myself using this Ning at least weekly, to connect with other school librarians and teachers.

Twitter is an interesting tool, I can follow my classmates' "tweets". So far our tweets are along the same lines! I am already following my professor, Karen, and several other librarians who I have read. These librarians are Vicki Davis, Doug Johnson, and David Warlick. I am not sure how much I'll use Twitter, but it does seem a good way to keep up with the tweets of influential people in the field!

LibraryThing can be used in the classroom, with the kids. With older students who have their own email addresses, they can create a personal account and keep a "reading log," share reviews with classmates, and even find out what their other classmates are reading. I can see myself creating a group just for my students. It would be a great way to virtually host a book-club during school vacations! I am not sure how to implement LibraryThing with elementary students, but it is something I want to explore. I already know I'll be sharing LibraryThing with my friends who are studying to be English teachers.

But LibraryThing and Shelfari? New sites for me to play with! Find me and friend me! I want to see what's on your bookcase.

No comments: